Sunday, July 26, 2009

Baked Oatmeal

With the beginning of another week I like to somewhat plan out that weeks dinners. But recently I have been thinking quite a bit about breakfast, which is odd because I normally skip breakfast and start my day with my lunch. If you are also a breakfast skipper but would like to start partaking of the morning meal, or even if you are already a breakfast eater, I suggest you try this tasty spin on oatmeal. It takes a bit of preparation so I would suggest it for a weekend breakfast and freeze it in sections, or making it the night ahead. It serves nicely after freezing so don't be afraid to freeze the left overs and trust me, unless you have a house full of guests, there will be leftovers!

Baked Oatmeal

2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 18oz. container regular oats
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbs. ground cinnamon
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter.

Toss 2 cups blueberries in 1 tbs. lemon juice and spread evenly in a 9×13 inch lightly greased baking dish. Combine oats, next 9 ingredients and remaining 1 tbs. lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour mixture over blueberries.
Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until golden brown and set.


Now, I know it looks unappetizing when mixing everything together, but trust me, it tastes much better than it looks - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment